Monday, June 11, 2007

TOMORROW! MELT BANANA @ the Cat! 06.12.07


It was 1994. I rememeber the first time I heard Melt Banana. A good friend of mine gave me a tape ( yeah, a cassette) that he thought would rip my skull. The album was called Speak, Squeak, Creak, released on K.K. Null's N.O. label (Tokyo) and on Skin Graft in the US. This was Japanese noisecore before noisecore existed, fronted by an unassuming, petite Japanese girl. She had the stage presence of Godzilla in New York and the atomic, high pitched vocal range of Mothra. This would be Yasuko O. Knowing that I was a diehard Albini disciple, he also threw in that Steve had recorded them. It's a fair bet that my skull was ripped before ever listening to that tape. Needless to say, they blew my mind, both recorded and live. Thirteen years and several albums later, they've never failed to impress. I saw them a couple years ago with Dave Witte (sigh) on drums and it was one of the loudest, most energetic MB shows I can recall.
don't sleep.

MELT BANANA
BLACK CAT
06.12.07
$13
w/ HEXMACHINE


melt banana

No comments: